Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Meals on a Battlefield.


The sun was out all day today. It was quite lovely!

In my food huntings I have embarked upon an amazing food item. Fake chicken. Yes, the first picture (hidden underneath foil) is actually not real chicken its fake. Soy chicken, it is a fairly new item on the market and tastes exactly like the real thing, dare I say: better. Its great for the new teenage vegetarian who's still craving animal flesh, as a bonus it cooks in the microwave under four minutes i. I personally like to grill mine, and today I stuck it in a whole wheat chapati, with onions and had it with some horseradish sauce.

I also tested out some yogurt today that I've never had before, vanilla yogurt (I am the fruity yogurt type). And I must say I was pleasantly surprised, vanilla yogurt chilled tastes exactly like melted vanilla ice cream. I found a winner.



In other food hunting, I made pizza today. Store-bought dough, store bought tomato sauce, and cheese (cheddar and Parmesan). On the side I tossed together a taco salad with salsa ranch dressing (1 tbsp. for every 1 1/2 tbsp. of ranch), crushed taco pieces, cheddar cheese, oh ya and vegetables! Radish, lettuce, carrots, and cabbage.

Since my meal was lacking in cooked vegetables I sauteed some mushrooms (one of the few vegetable sources of Vitamin D) with butter, dill, salt and pepper. I am kind of obsessed with cooked mushrooms, so if I have any excuse I'll make them. Funny story actually, I never really liked raw mushrooms but I'd eat them any way. Then one day this January, I was making some vegetable pot pie for my English and History class, I had tons of extra mushrooms left over that my mother cooked up and served me for dinner, I since have fallen madly in love.

My pizza looked super duper anemic so I placed a cup full of spinach on top of the hot hot pizza to wilt--> yummy. I learned this trick from a book I read by Jodi Lipper and Cerina Vincent, called
How to Eat Like a Hot Chick (I know risqué title), and I recommend the 'trick'! You can toss fresh spinach in soups, in pastas, over rice, basically any hot dish you can think up.

Now, if i put both the meals I prepared, tested, and digested today on a battle field the soy chicken wrap would win. It was much more nutritious, didn't have tons of ugly cheese fat involved (instead the chapati was cooked with good unsaturated oil) , and was easy and quick. Plus it tasted just as grand as the second one.

-Pow

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your find! Do you know if there are other soy substitutes other than chicken and milk (yuck).

    Mmm, I love yogurt. Vanilla one of my top favorite flavours, following strawberry, and strawberry and bananas. It tastes delicious with fruit smoothies!

    Bong rong ee nong nong aa nong

    ReplyDelete